Sunday, January 20, 2013

Tom Baker Dreams on Baker's Birthday

Today is the nth birthday of British actor Tom Baker, best known for his role as the fourth Doctor in the eternal BBC science fiction series Doctor Who. Tom Baker's Doctor was the first guy I ever had hot dreams about.  I think I was about 9.  Man, we had a good old time.

He had a distinctly different personality than Peter Gabriel, Stephen Fry or any of the other good guys I dream about.  He was friendly, outgoing and seemed almost always to be smarter than everyone else in the room.  He was a dependable guy and a good friend -- except he somehow left my subconscious.  

I wondered why he left.  It could be because I lost interest in Doctor Who when Colin Baker (no relation) was cast.  He was really awful.  He was so awful that I switched the television off about ten minutes into the first episode with him.  That was the end of my Dr Who fandom.

I have tried to watch the new, hip, sexy Doctor Who but the actors playing the Doctors were about half my age.  There should be a law that any Doctor should be at least as old as I am.  I have no idea how that would be enforced, but this is me dreaming here.

Every now and then I'd dream about Baker's Doctor or even about Tom himself, but basically Peter's taken over and he does not like it when I get too friendly with other dream characters.

The last time I dreamt about Tom, he wasn't a human, but an archangel.  He was also totally insane and very dangerous.  He also had a fascination with kidney transplants, especially taking the kidney from the body and putting it into his own -- while the kidney was still attached to the donor.  I guess this is the only way Peter and the gang will allow Tom to come back into my dreams -- totally stark raving nuts.

When it comes to casting my dreams, it seems that Peter is in charge.  I have had dreams where he told someone to leave my dream and they usually do (but not always.)  I had a couple of lucid dreams where some bizarre person would wander past and say, "Peter says he can't make it."  This has lead me to conclude that Peter has some power in shaping the character content of my dreams and nightmares.

Perhaps I can blame my subsequent fascination with British guys on Tom Baker.  He's another blue-eyed Brit that won't get out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory