Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How to Dream About a Specific Person

Dreams are more fun when you can dream about that special someone.  But your subconscious is not a candy vending machine.  It has a mind of it's own -- so to speak.  You'll look forward to dreaming about that certain someone and then wind up dreaming of people you can't stand.  How can you better your chances of dreaming about a specific person?

Here are some tips that I've learned from my decades of dreaming misadventures.

Have that Person Be Your Internal Narrator

In the last year, I've been dreaming a lot more of Stephen Fry (pictured) than I have of Peter Gabriel.  I couldn't figure out why -- until I realized that for the last couple of years I've been having Stephen Fry narrate the books I read.

What?  You don't already do this?  It makes reading so much more fun.  It also imprints that person's voice in your head.  It doesn't matter if the voice is 100% accurate.  It just has to be close enough to remind you of that person.  Remembering someone's voice seems to stimulate memories of the originator of that voice.

Look at Photos Before Your Go to Sleep

Years ago, I read a psychologist's advice in an article on AOL about how to dream of a certain someone.  (Of course, I can't find that article now to link to, but anyway -- ) She recommended that you "obsess" over the person all day.  I have tried this.  It doesn't work.

I think I know why it doesn't work.  As a child and teenager, one of my favorite books was My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara. During the book, the protagonist stops dreaming.  His mother asks the family doctor why.  The doctor replies that daydreaming uses up all of the night dreaming time.  Now, there's absolutely no proof of this, but as an impressionable child I read it and believed it.  So now if I think about Peter Gabriel all day, I can't dream about him at night.  Go figure.   Anyway, just look at at a few photos of your special someone a few minutes before going to bed and this will get your mind thinking about that person.

Try Not to Dream About that Person

People are cranky -- even dream people.  They have a tendency to do exactly what you don't expect them to do.  The only problem with this technique is that you have to expect it NOT to work in order for it to work.

Sweet dreams.

Image of Stephen Fry at a British gay pride parade 7 July 2012 taken by Tablet Eraser for Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory