Friday, January 1, 2016

Nightmare about Getting Health Care

I had a nightmare last night. What's really annoying is that this nightmare is that it hasn't gone away since I woke up. I dreamt that I had flu so bad that it was called "borderline pneumonia." And I had all the symptoms, too --headache, nausea, dizziness, sore throat, body aches. Thanks for reminding me, subconscious.

Anyway. despite my pathetic condition, I was forced to walk over a mile to get any kind of health care. And then I had to walk a mile back. No one would help me with this walk, of course.

The doctor's office was located in a bucolic nook in the woods with a stable next door. The doctor who treated me had more than one car and even a chauffeur but I had to use Shank's mare.

Now, when I was homeless in England, I did have to walk three miles round trip (estimated) in order to see the doctor or nurse at Julian House in Bath. But I was homeless and penniless and the medical care was mostly free. This massive walk was annoying but expected.

Now that I'm homed in America, supposedly the greatest country ever, surely I can easily get health care? HA! Now you really ARE dreaming.

Although I no longer have to walk such long distances and have gotten my driver's license back, healthcare is still a nightmare. My fluoxetine, for example, costs about $150 a month. Without this medicine, I am suicidal and cannot sleep. So I have health insurance to pay about $15 a month. However, my premiums are roughly $500 per month. So I'm really paying $515 per month, aren't I?

I also was unceremoniously dropped by my health insurance company last year and had to go through a grey-hair-inducing process in order to gain the plans I have now. I had to get two plans because my previous health insurance plan with dental was eliminated without my consent.

Because health problems are such a literal as well as metaphorical nightmare, I'm going to be concentrating on health problems that can impact your sleep in 2016 rather than just about dreams or sleep disorders in general. Please forgive me in advance if my posts are too biased towards American health care, since that's where I now live.

Image of a hospital room in Denmark for Wikimedia Commons by Tomasz Sienicki.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory