Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sleep Tips for Night Shift Workers

I had to work the graveyard shift (9pm - 7am) for many years when I lived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Although some people are able to quickly change their circadian rhythm without much trouble, most people’s bodies are severely confused by having to work when most people sleep, and sleep when most people work.

I am one of the latter type. The dreary night shift retail job was the best I could find at the time.  Working the day shift was just not an option and probably isn't an option for you.  Sleep then becomes so precious that the Holy Grail or Venus' arms pale in comparison.

Here are some tips on how to actually get some decent sleep when it seems like the rest of the world is wide awake.

Darken the Bedroom

Even winter sunlight is bright enough to keep you awake. You can't fight it - so hide it. You need to put up dark colored material over all of your windows, doors - anything that lets in light. I thumb tacked scrap black cloth over my bedroom window.

Stay Cool

If possible, keep your bedroom colder than the rest of the house. You can drop off to sleep better if it's chilly than when it's room temperature. The hibernation mode just kicks in. If it's high summer and you can't afford the air conditioning, (which happened often to me), then take a cold shower, don't dry off completely and go to bed.

Avoid Watching Exciting Television

I made the mistake of always watching television after my shift. It was a nice little treat, but went overboard. Back then, I adored television and often watched movies, concerts, sports or news at least two hours before going to bed. My mind was far too awake from the programs I watched in order to relax enough to get drowsy.

Avoid Sleeping Pills

I also made the mistake of taking over the counter sleeping pills to get to sleep (these are unavailable in England, but it's the same stuff as in Night Nurse). I grew tolerant of them very quickly, and wound up having to take a handful (about 16) in order to get drowsy. Finally, I "woke up" and stopped the pills altogether. I spent a miserable next few months because my body had come to depend on those whopping doses of sleeping pills or anti-contestants in order to get to sleep. It seemed to have forgotten how to get drowsy all by itself.

Get A White Noise Machine

At the time I worked the graveyard shift, I lived on the bottom floor of a busy apartment complex. The parking lot was right outside my bedroom window. I never would have gotten any sleep at all if it hadn't been for my white noise machine (which looks like a digital radio). Sometimes they are called ocean machines or wave machines. They make noises that mimic rainfall or ocean waves. This masks a lot of noises that would otherwise startle you and wake you up.

Know You Are Not Alone

You are not unlucky. There are many thousands of people who have to work the night shift or even swing shifts. These include vital services like sorting mail, nursing, baking and security. Your job is just as important. Find some assurance knowing that if they can do it, so can you.

Sweet dreams.

Image of the full moon from Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory