Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What are Lucid Dreams?


Have you ever been dreaming and suddenly realized that you were dreaming? Well, that's a lucid dream. Some people are born learning how to "wake up" when they are dreaming. Others need to practice this skill.

Why bother with lucid dreams? There are as many reasons as there are dreamers. Some of these reasons include:

* Banish nightmares
* Self-discovery
* Enjoy safe sex
* Stimulate creativity

Hi. My web name is rraven, but my real name is Rena Sherwood. I've been experiencing lucid dreams since childhood. At first I thought I was an oddball, but distinguishing dreams from waking life has been a passion for thousands of people around the world for many generations.

One of the features of lucid dreams is that you often meet people or characters that are more vivid, complex and, well, REAL than in real life. My dream life is no different.

Some call them spiritual guides, some call them imaginary friends, some call them a hidden facets of the unconscious, but I call mine Peter. I've dreamt about him an average of once a week since I was 16 and now -- well, I'm a heck of a lot older than 16. Due to the strange circumstances of my life, including homelessness and domestic abuse, I usually lose friends soon after I make them. The only friend that has stuck with me the longest has been Peter.

Peter has taught me many things in life, including how to lucid dream. Perhaps you dream of just such a character, too.

Image of a lenticular cloud by Stahlkocker for Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory